With Melissa Haithcock of A Happy Healthy Heart
Shaved Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad
5-7 Tuscan kale stems
1 pound Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 Gala apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
Juice from 1 orange
2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
1/2 red onion, minced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Once heated, put sunflower seeds on a sheet pan and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, prepare salad. De-rib the kale, place each leaf on top of one another, roll tightly and slice so that the kale forms thin strips. Put kale into a bowl. To slice Brussels sprouts, cut the end off each, slice in half lengthwise, put both halves face down and thinly slice. Once all the Brussels sprouts are chopped, put into the bowl with kale. Toss in apple slices.
3. To prepare the dressing, combine the lemon juice, mustard, onion, salt and pepper. Stir and add in olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and massage with your hands for a few minutes. This will help the bitterness of the kale and sprouts to break down.
4. Top with roasted sunflower seeds and serve.
5. If you have time, allow the salad to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours so the dressing soaks into the salad well.
Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Pecans
4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon butter (I used vegan butter)
2 tablespoons milk (I used almond milk)
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Stir maple syrup into pecans. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper and pour on pecans. Roast for about 7-10 minutes, watching closely being sure not to overcook.
3. Pour cubed sweet potatoes into water and allow to cook until soft. Strain water and pour into large bowl. Mix in garlic, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon rosemary, butter and milk.
4. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes and seasoning together. Pour mixture into a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish.
5. Once cooked, stir pecans together with remaining rosemary and sprinkle with salt if desired. Pour pecans over sweet potatoes and serve warm.
6. To reheat, place dish in the oven at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes.