There’s a World full of out-of-the-way Honeymoon Destinations. Which one’s for you?
For some newlyweds, the honeymoon is all about some serious, just-the-two-of-us quality time. For others, it’s all about the people they can meet and adventures they can have. Either way, we have the luxury and adventure – or a blend of the two – that you’re looking for. We spoke with Cool Springs Travel Group owner and agent Cynthia Davis to find the most romantic, exotic and adventurous honeymoon destinations for the local couple who wants to go big.
Amalfi Coast Italy
If a European honeymoon sounds divine, then Italy’s Amalfi Coast offers plenty of destinations for history, culture, relaxation and adventure. The best times to travel are May to June and September to October. The summer months are very warm and teeming with travelers. Winter is also a good time to travel as the weather remains mild and hotel rates are at their best. We recommend three cities along the Amalfi coast to spend your time.
Positano: Centrally Located
- A 30-minute drive to the Isle of Capri. There you can see the island on a boat tour and take a chairlift to the top of Mount Solaro. Check out the famous Blue Grotto, a dark cavern where the sea glows electric blue.
- Pompeii, Herculaneum and Mount Vesuvius: One hour from Positano, recommended for those who love history.
- Sorrento: 40 minutes from Positano and known for its festive resort atmosphere and shopping.
- Paestum: Two hours from Postino by car, bus or train. If you’re an archelogy buff or a gourmet enthusiast, this is your home away from home.
Hotel Covo dei Saraceni
Ravello: Busy by day; romantic by night.
- Villa Cimbrone: Currently a hotel, but popular for stunning views and sunsets
- Ravello Cathedral: Built in 1086, known for architectural beauty
- Villa Rufolo: 13th century villa with stunning gardens and architecture
- Mamma Agata’s Cooking Class, or the “Hidden Gem of Ravello.” Enjoy this private home cooking class, then enjoy your meal on the terrace overlooking the beautiful Amalfi Coastline.
Palazzo Sasso Avino
Sorrento: Facing the Bay of Naples with 43 miles of winding coastal road to Salerno.
- Cathedral of Sorrento: Centrally located on the Corso Italia, this is considered an architectural wonder with a beautiful clock tower.
- Old Sorrento: Home to the Basilica of Sant’Antonino and San Francesco.
- Piazza Tasso: Shops, café’s, markets and horse drawn carriages
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria
Ecuador: Best of South America, Greatest Natural Diversity in the World
If traveling to South America for your honeymoon hasn’t crossed your mind, it should. The adventurous at heart can visit all four regions of Ecuador: Galapagos Islands, Pacific Region, Andes Mountain and the Amazon, in a week’s time. On this trip you can climb the world’s tallest volcano, the Cotopaxi Volcano, in the Andes Region; kayak the rapids of the Amazon Rainforest; cross the equator on horseback; watch humpback whales along the Pacific Coast of Manabi; swim with penguins and iguanas and lie on the beach with sea lions in the Galapagos Islands.
- Amazon: LaSelva Amazon Ecolodge & Spa
- Andes: Plaza Grande Quito in the Historic City Center
- Galapagos: San Vincent Hotel
USVI: St. Thomas
If you wish to travel somewhere exotic without the use of a passport, look no further than St. Thomas, one of the United States Virgin Islands. St. Thomas offers anything and everything a couple could want on a honeymoon. From hiking the famous 99 Steps for beautiful island views; to sport fishing, golf and snorkeling, this island has it all. Not to mention, the beaches are quite lovely as well. Car rentals or private transfers are available for travelers.
- Ritz Carlton St. Thomas
- Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Marriott Resort
If staying at a resort is not for you, private villas are available with options for private staff. One bedroom villas would be perfect for a romantic honeymoon while 10-bedroom villas would accommodate a destination wedding.
For more information on these and other destinations, please visit CoolSpringsTravelGroup.com.