Summer for the Fun of It 2

Outdoor recreation activities abound in Franklin parks.

Summer is here – that time of year when the temperature soars and so does the fun. Outdoor activities abound in the city of Franklin, and here are some highlights on what’s going on that can help make this your best summer yet.

The city of Franklin boasts 16 parks spread over more than 700 acres. These include passive parks, active (sports) parks and historical parks. And it’s important to note that Franklin’s park system is indeed a work-in-progress, with 56 percent of the parks completed and the remaining 44 percent in varying stages of completion.

For those outdoor enthusiasts who love to hike and want to enjoy nature at its fullest, Franklin has a lot to offer. Hikers can explore a great one-mile trail, complete with a fitness course, at Pinkerton Park, 405 Murfreesboro Road. Another option is a scenic 1.3-mile trail at Aspen Grove Park, 3200 Aspen Grove Drive. Franklin’s beautiful Winstead Hill Park, located at 4023 Columbia Avenue, offers a picturesque ¾-mile hiking trail. And Jim Warren Park, 705 Boyd Mill Road, has marked and measured walking trails available for public use, including a 2 ¼-mile course. Later this fall, an established pedestrian/equestrian trail system will be in place at the Park at Harlinsdale Farm, 239 Franklin Road.

For water enthusiasts, the city of Franklin Parks Department maintains several river access points for those who enjoy canoeing, kayaking, fishing or swimming in the beautiful Harpeth River. The access points include Rizer Point, the Park at Harlinsdale Farm, Pinkterton Park and Eastern Flank.  A public swimming pool, maintained by Williamson County Parks & Recreation, is open all summer long at 1120 Hillsboro Road.

If it’s fun events you’re looking for, plan to celebrate your independence at Franklin on the Fourth (Monday, July 4), a wonderfully patriotic festival held in downtown Franklin complete with arts, crafts, food and entertainment. The event concludes with an incredible fireworks display at the Park at Harlinsdale Farm. And for the little ones, be sure to catch the popular Music and Dance Kids Show held July 13 at Pinkerton Park from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.

And there’s more. Franklin will host the 27th Annual Bluegrass Along The Harpeth Festival July 22 and 23, right on Historic Square in downtown Franklin. Plan to join these free festivities Friday night for some great music and dancing, and on Saturday to hear the best pickers and take in the friendly picking competition that follows. For more information on this popular event, visit BluegrassAlongTheHarpeth.

So grab your tennis shoes, flip-flops, sandals and sun screen – and head outside. Your fun in the sun awaits.

Photography courtesty City of Franklin. For more information on Franklin Parks, visit Franklin-TN.gov.